Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: WTB: 1218A cover latches

  1. #1
    Junior Hostboard Member jpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 11th, 2006
    Posts
    29
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Does anyone know where I can find replacements for the plastic latches that secure the front covers to cabinet of the 1218A Altec speakers? One of mine is broken; I'm looking for at least one, but would like to get more for spares.

    Thanks! Jim

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Is this what you need?

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...4-mi/page4.jpg

    I checked some suppliers, and struck out, though Lowes has an appliance safety catch (white), just can't tell online if it's right.

    Looks like what comes on some plastic coolers, but they're molded in.

    If you found one the right dimension to ~ match the holes, a metal butterfly latch would be more durable, and commonly available too.

  3. #3
    Junior Hostboard Member jpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 11th, 2006
    Posts
    29
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yep, that's ExActly what I'm looking for, and thanks for looking around. The cabinets are absolutely fresh except for the latch - I'd really like to find an original. If not, I'll look into a suitable substitution as you suggest.

    Ebay has a "want it now" feature now, I'll try posting something there too.

    Thanks! Jim

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If ya just knew the type name would help, I tried 'plastic snap latch' and such, that didn't seem to be it.

    Completely understand wanting original, but it's possible that style latch died out for a good reason... forums

  5. #5
    Junior Hostboard Member jpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 11th, 2006
    Posts
    29
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Most 1218A's I've seen on ebay were missing the covers, presumably due to PLFS (premature latch failure syndrome) Anyway, my fingers are crossed!

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    WTB: 1218A cover latches


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    It was a real common off the shelf latch. Kustom also used it. That said, I doubt replacements are still made. Bfish is right, they broke a lot.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.